Colonel Angel Esparza López was graduated from General Military Academy (AGM) in 1989 and was commissioned as Cavalry officer (first lieutenant) in the Light Armoured Regiment “Numancia” nº 9.
His courses include General Officer, Staff Course of the Armed Forces, Tanks Command, Parachutist Units Command and Pedagogy Course for officers.
His awards include 6 white crosses, Cross, Royal Plaque and Command, San Hermenegildo Military Order, NATO Non Article 5, NATO Former Yugoslavia (Kosovo), Cross of the Highest War School of Colombia.
His command appointments include:
• First Lieutenant: Light Armoured Platoon Commander (1989 – 1993).
• Captain: Light Armoured Squadron Commander (1993 – 2001).
• Col: Cavalry Parachutist Regiment “Lusitania” nº 8 Commander (2016-2018)
• Col: Chief of the Cavalry Training and Doctrine Division (2018-2019)
National Key staff appointments include Staff Officer (Maj) in the Cavalry BDE “CASTILLEJOS” II as G-3 from 2001-2009, Chief of Operations and Logistics Division at the Spanish War School (LTC) from 2009 to 2014 and Chief of Staff at the General Military Academy from 2014 to 2016.
At this moment he is assigned as the Chief of Staff for NATO Mission Iraq in Baghdad.
Operational deployments include:
• C5 Plans Officer at the CJTF 7 in Bagdad (2003-2004)
• G3 at the SP TF “Tizona” in Kosovo (2006)
He and his wife are from Navarra, Spain, and they have one child (second lieutenant), in the last course at the Cavalry School.