1. We are here today to further improve the mutual
understanding regarding roles, capabilities and capacities
related to security provider institutions in Kosovo, to refine
the synchronization of efforts and to facilitate joint training
2. Today’s event fits into the framework of those lines of
cooperation recently identified by NATO SECGEN’s letter and
visit to the Institutions in Kosovo.
3. Enhancing collaboration, liaison and communications, is key
to success. The only way to become more effective in
countering common security concerns like religious
extremism, terrorism, illegal migration, organised crime and
4. Nevertheless, security remains a complex subject. It
embraces many fields that in the past where far from being
part of it, requiring now a joint and comprehensive
approach to properly tackle all of its aspects.
5. Training events, exercises, study days, bringing together all
security providers, represent the good venue to harmonize
tactics, techniques and procedures and to ensure better
integration. The forthcoming iteration of Exercise Silver
Sabre will be a further perfect opportunity to train ourselves
and to test our preparation ahead of future challenges.
6. On the NATO side, KFOR and NALT, on different levels and
areas of expertise, assist Kosovo Security Organizations in
order to further enhance regional stability. However, NATO
support in KSO capacity building (as well as interaction with
Institutions in Kosovo) remains possible only within the
current KSF mandate. Any deviation would impose a deep
revision of KFOR and NALT contribution to all forms of
support, cooperation and commitment.
7. Keeping this capstone concept in mind I renew my warmest
welcome to all of you and I encourage you to have a fruitful
and open discussion, being sure that this event will carry
improvements to the mutual effort of provide Kosovo with a
safer and more secure environment.
8. Joint training, information sharing, familiarization amongst
Institutions. These are the key words that make KFOR motto
a game changer.
9. Trust and Commitment. Let’s make it real!