Major Maurizio SARASINO
Command Sergeant Major Maurizio SARASINO was born on 6 September 1969 in Biella (Italy) and he started his career attending recruit training as paratrooper at the "Folgore” Brigade in 1989. He has been meritoriously promoted to the ranks of lance corporal, corporal, sergeant and staff sergeant.
On his promotion to Squad and Platoon leader, he was involved in training and exercises in Italy and other NATO/EU Countries.
Throughout his career he took part in different international missions in area of crisis such as: Operation Provide Comfort in Iraq (1991), Operation Restore Hope in Somalia (1992-1993), KFOR - NATO’s mission in Kosovo (1999-2000), European Union Monitoring Mission (EUMM) in Sarajevo (2004-2006), and NATO Training Mission-Iraq (NTM-I) (2009-2010).
After joining the NRDC-ITA (NATO Rapid Deployable Corps – Italy), he also went overseas where he served a tour of duty at NATO - Allied Command Transformation (ACT) - in Norfolk (USA).
Before being appointed CSM KFOR, he was stationed in Rome at the Italian Defense General Staff as Special Assistant to the Chief of the Information and Security Department.
With regard to his education, he attended several courses including parachuting, military physical training instructor, jumpmaster, pathfinder, air cooperation, joint and advanced intelligence courses, NATO senior NCO’s orientation course.
His personal awards include:
- Knight's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Long Command Medal of Merit in Bronze
- Italian Commemorative Cross for participation in the Iraqi Mission
- Italian Commemorative Cross for participation in the Somali Mission
- Italian Commemorative Cross for participation in the Kosovo mission
- European Union Medal for Monitoring Mission in Ex-Jugoslavija
- NATO Training Mission Iraq Medal
- Medal for participation in Humanitarian Missions
- Italian Medal for homeland security
- 3 commendations and 5 praises.
Command Sergeant Major Maurizio SARASINO gained the US Army parachutist badge (Jump wings) as well as the French military parachute badge (Brevets de Parachutists) and the Belgian Para Commando badge.
In his spare time he enjoys skiing, free-climbing, motorcycling and travelling.
His motto is "One Step Beyond” which means going beyond the call of duty and demonstrating proactive dedication to serving worthy causes at home and abroad. "One Step Beyond" represents Command Sergeant Major Maurizio SARASINO's philosophy of life, both personal and professional, which he fully intends to put into practice during his challenging tour of duty in Kosovo.